CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Saturday, March 15, 2008

Sulcata Tortise


The Sulcata tortoise is the largest continental land tortoise with recorded lengths of over 2.5 feet and a maximum recorded weight of about 340 lbs. It is the 3rd largest tortoise in the world. Of course I had no idea my tortoises were going to grow that big when I bought it from the weird guy at the flea market. After I found out they were going to grow that big I had to ask myself questions like what do they eat? What would they need for housing? How much are they like the other reptiles I had living in my house at the time? They outgrew every tank we ever got for them so my dad had to build a giant wooden box for them to live in. When I got them five years ago they were just hatched. Currently Shelly (female) weighs twenty-seven pounds and Myrtle (male) weighs over thirty-five pounds. When I first got them they were very shy. However, I learned that they will do anything for a piece of there favorite food, romaine lettuce, so that was how we got to know each other.=)

0 comments: